Welcome to EDI’s Class of 2016! In March we kicked off our Leadership Discovery and Navigation programs with 64 participants. The photos and posts in Twitter and Facebook tell the story of this year’s class. They are dynamic, motivated, ready for any challenge, and most importantly they know how to have fun. Continue to follow the participants on their eight month journey by joining our Twitter Thursday conversations (Fridays for Navigation). We’re providing a rare opportunity to get an inside glimpse of the EDI experience so don’t miss this! #DiverseGlobalLeaders #EDIMythBusters #LosGranOcho #EDILevitate #AIWallbreakers #Navigation
It’s a team effort to launch the programs each year from recruitment to kick-off so we thank ALL of you for your support. A special shout out to our facilitators, Marisa Rivera, JD Hokoyama and John Chen, who build the foundation for the participants each year and also to our volunteer program chairs for their dedication, time and commitment. Next month, we’ll be opening up the application process for our 2017 programs, so start thinking about candidates to enroll for next year’s class.
GiveBIG to EDI on May 3rd! I wanted to do a special call out for this since this is an important day for EDI’s contributors. This will be our 3rd year participating and we are doubling our goal to $10,000! It’s one of the only times you can “stretch” your dollars. The more money EDI raises the higher percentage of matching funds we receive from the Seattle Foundation. Why donate to EDI? Our programs are tuition based and currently tuition only covers 60% of the total operating cost for the programs. We rely on contributions for the remaining 40%. We do our best to keep our tuition rates competitive to ensure that we can accommodate as many people as possible in our programs. YOU keep our programs going. We ask for your support on this important day of giving and help us reach our $10,000 goal. Every dollar counts and together we can make an impact.
May is Asian Pacific Islander Month and the first celebration will take place on Sunday, May 1st at the Seattle Center. The event is led by the Asian Pacific Director’s Coalition (APDC). It’s a free, family event with entertainment, community booths and the celebrity Hum Bow contest. That’s what I’m looking forward to the most! Plus, it will be an EDI reunion as we have a lot of alumni that will be volunteering. You can also visit the EDI booth. We’d love to see you.
In my last column I mentioned that this year would be all about leadership stories to showcase the power and inspiration of our EDI community. We hope you’ve been reading the “Alumni on the Move” section of our newsletters. We have more stories to unveil over the next few months so keep them coming!!
There’s so much more on the horizon for EDI so keep an eye out for more announcements.